Are you ready for some FOOTBAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLL?!? All right!!
Well…I’m not, really. But I am ready for some football-like munchies. I’m always ready for those. Chicken wings, waffle fries, nachos, beer…
But I’m also not ready for an extra 15 pounds on my frame. So. This fall season I’m keeping all my munchies BRD-friendly.
The peppers in this dish were inspired by the fact that I had a bag of them hanging out in the fridge and I didn’t wanna bench them…these are NOT third-string veggies. With a bit of creative thinking, I was able cook up some game-day snacks that taste almost as good as actual chicken wings!
The crisp sweet bite of the pepper with the spicy buffalo sauce is delish. But the real MVP here is the cauliflower. It even looks like buffalo chicken nuggets, doesn’t it? But of course, you could totally use cubes of chicken breast (or chicken tenderloins, or even actual wings) because protein is A-OK with BRD. The almond milk wash and the “bread” coating will work perfectly with chicken, as long as you give it a tad more time in the oven to make sure the chicken is cooked through. Because raw chicken is more than just a fumble — it’s a game-day forfeit.
These are best enjoyed right outta the oven, in my opinion. And considering I’m like your “coach” on this recipe, you best listen to what I got locked away in my playbook.
Okay, enough with the football metaphors. I was kind of impressed with myself though, considering I’m often snoozing through the games. I can still pull off the lingo. Sort of.
Now give me the low down: what’s your fave game-day snack? Maybe I’ll give it a BRD-makeover and create a brand new version that you can enjoy without taking a free day!
- FOR BUFFALO BITES:
- 1 head of cauliflower, broken into finger size pieces
- 1lb. bag of mini sweet peppers
- 1-1/2 cup of Garbanzo bean flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1-1/2 cup + 6 tbsp. of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 jar of Frank's Hot Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- FOR JALAPEÑO RANCH:
- 1¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon of ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ cup of fresh parsley leaves
- ½ cup fresh chives
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeds and ribs removed (use only one if you're sensitive to spice)
- FOR BITES:
- Set up 2 pans with tinfoil and spray with cooking spray. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the Garbanzo bean flour together with mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder and white pepper.
- Dip each piece of cauliflower & pepper into the almond milk and then coat with the flour mixture. Place on the tinfoil covered pan.
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- While veggies are cooking prepare the buffalo sauce and ranch.
- FOR BUFFALO SAUCE:
- In a saucepan over low heat mix Frank's sauce, Almond milk, & Butter until melted and whisk together.
- FOR JALAPEÑO RANCH:
- In a food processor blend all ingredients,yogurt, almond milk, vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, dried dill, parsley leaves, chives, & jalapeño together until well mixed and smooth.