J’adore breakfast. On a perfect day, it would look like this for me: At 9am, I’d like to have some eggs. At noon, I’d like to have more eggs. And at dinner, you guessed it — I’ll take eggs again. So when we made this “breakfast” casserole, I ate it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner…until it was gone.
Then I made another batch and repeated the routine.
Yeah, it’s that good.
Most breakfast foods fall into my love-to-eat-it, can’t-get-sick-of-it category, but this casserole is particularly close to my heart. And it’s easy to see why — just look at the pics!
Fluffy eggs mixed with spicy chorizo, shredded zucchini (one of my all time greatest vegetable loves), Monterey Jack cheese, and did I mention the fluffy eggs? It bears repeating because, well, EGGS! They’re so incredibly edible!
The flavor just explodes in this casserole. I really wish technology had invented smell-o-vision, because then you could experience the wonderful scent wafting through Sarah’s kitchen shortly after I popped this amazingly easy-to-put-together casserole into the oven. Sarah kept opening up the oven door and checking to see if the eggs had set yet.
She said, “The smell is making me so hungry.” I was right there with her and could barely focus on the work at hand, you know blogging kind of work, and instead was petting dogs and perusing Pinterest while imagining the goodness that would hit my taste buds as soon as we cut into this casserole. Maybe you’ll notice the big ass piece missing from the pictures. I had to eat it first. Photo taking was second. Then when Sarah finished taking, like, 80 photos, I ate another big ass piece.
To tell the truth, this one challenged me a bit. Less than 10 minutes of prep, but 60 minutes in the oven had my patience pushed to the end of it’s rope. My favorite part about sharing this stuff with you is creating yummy dishes that are good for your body, even better to eat, and take little effort to make…and then eating them.
I love the part where I get to eat this stuff.
So I hope you enjoying making them and eating them, too. And in this case, the wait was totally worth it. 🙂
- 12 oz. chorizo, crumbled and cooked
- 2 small zucchinis, shredded
- ½ large yellow onion, diced
- 3 green onions, green parts only, chopped
- 12 eggs
- ⅔ cup of monterey jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease an 8x8 or 9x9 pan.
- Cook the chorizo over the stove top on medium high heat until crumbled and cooked through
- Dice onions, shred zucchini and chop green onions.
- Place in a bowl and add the cheese, garlic, oregano, pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and sriracha and combine together.
- In a separate bowl whisk all the eggs together and when blended pour into the vegetable mixture.
- Add the chorizo to the vegetable/egg mixture and combine together.
- Pour the mixture into your greased pan and place in the oven cooking 45-60 minutes or until the center of the egg bake bounces back slightly and the eggs are cooked.